Job Description: VITA Quality Reviewer
The Quality Reviewer serves as the technical tax expert for a tax site and is responsible for ensuring that all returns prepared meet the quality requirements of the IRS VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program. Quality Reviewers review each tax return completed by a volunteer, correct errors, and provide substantive tax knowledge and guidance to volunteers. The Quality Reviewer also assists the Site Coordinator in ensuring the efficient operation of the tax site.
Availability: Candidates should be available to work one or more of the following times: weekday evenings, Wednesday or Thursday mid-day, Saturdays, or Sundays, from late January through mid-April. Additional hours during the week may be required at some sites to oversee the e-file process. Quality Reviewers are needed at several of our sites in Washington, DC and Prince George’s and Montgomery Counties MD.
Skills and Experience: Minimum of 3 years of experience preparing individual income tax returns or qualified CPA or Enrolled Agent with at least two-year’s individual income tax preparation experience for low-income taxpayers is required. Previous experience with volunteer low-income tax assistance programs preferred. Requires a detail oriented, organized, efficient, individual who is able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment. Quality Reviewers must complete special Quality Review training and the pass the IRS Volunteer tax preparer certification exam at the Advanced level. Training will be conducted in January.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage and ensure return preparation quality at tax site
- Follow Campaign procedures.
- Help Site Coordinator manage workflow of the tax site: facilitate sign-in and intake of clients; ensure orderly and thorough screening process and reduce wait time, etc.
- Provide on-site tax expertise; answer tax volunteers’ preparation questions and assist with any tax-related issues.
- Supervise volunteer Quality Reviewers
- Ensure that each completed tax return is reviewed to ensure it is complete and accurate.
- Support Site Coordinator with operational needs of the site.
- Work with individual responsible for electronically filing returns to ensure procedures are followed and problems in rejected returns are corrected on a timely basis.
- Ensure security of confidential information.
- Ensure proper reporting and record keeping. Work with CTA to collect and report statistics and surveys relating to taxpayer information.
Position Classification: Non-Exempt Temporary/Seasonal. Position runs from late January through mid April.